"Adobe Story: From Script to Screen"

September 12th, 2009 by

A H/T to GITS reader Kevin Wild who sent me this link to an interesting new screenwriting software. Per Kevin:

New Adobe online screenwriting software? This has serious potential, especially for collaborative projects. It’s about time someone stepped up to give Final Draft some competition. This is compatible with FD, which was very smart by Adobe. It brought my script in perfectly formatted. You can then easily share it with someone and collaborate, make notes, etc., I believe.

It’s still early, in preview mode, but works pretty nicely.

Has anybody else tested this out? Curious to see what others think.

6 thoughts on “"Adobe Story: From Script to Screen"

1. Lalithra Fernando says:

I haven't tried this, but I've been using Celtx for my scripts. It's free and works pretty well. My only issue with it is it's kind of awkward to save multiple versions of the script, but other than that, it's cool. It (I think) will be useful throughout production though, not just in the writing phase.

2. Lalithra Fernando says:

I started using it now, and yes, it works pretty well.

3. Shea says:

I tried out:

which was kick-butt and free.

I'm just too use to final draft 7

has anyone updated to final draft 8?
    is it worth the upgrade?

4. Nicholas says:

Tried it for about two minutes.

Absolutely hated it.

As far as I could tell, the only way you could write in it is if you tabbed to the different elements, which means you MUST have a fundamental knowledge of what a script looks like before you can even start writing one. At least with FD you can kind of open it and just go.

It's too minimalist to be functional.

5. Christian H. says:

I had heard about this with CS4 but didn't realize it was online.
    It could be a great thing for CS4 users, but it wouldn't be that popular in the bigs until the model changes.
    It is a little cheaper in that I bought two copies of FD, one for my laptop and one for my desktop.

But I finally found a use for a netbook. FD.

6. Belzecue says:

Nicholas — there's a button bottom right you click on to set the current element.

I like how lean it is. Keeps you focused on writing, not playing with format.

Go to the main menu VIEW and switch on the toolbars for all the bells and whistles.