Daily Dialogue — August 18, 2011

August 18th, 2011 by
Randal: Which did you like better? “Jedi” or “The Empire Strikes Back”? Dante: “Empire”. Randal: Blasphemy. Dante: “Empire” had the better ending. I mean, Luke gets his hand cut off, finds out Vader’s his father, Han gets frozen and taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. I mean, that’s what life is, a series of down endings. All “Jedi” had was a bunch of Muppets.

– Randal (Jeff Anderson), Dante (Brian O’Halloran), Clerks. (1994), written by Kevin Smith

The Daily Dialogue theme for the week, suggested by Todd Wallinger. Clerks. was one example of a movie that includes a reference to Star Wars, that reference suggested by Saint716.

Trivia: Kevin Smith financed this movie by maxing out credit cards, selling a majority of his comic book collection and borrowing money from family and friends.

Dialogue On Dialogue: If you’re a fan of dialogue in movies, then Kevin Smith is for you. Clerks. is a good example, page after page of dialogue. Which are your favorite bits in the movie?

7 thoughts on “Daily Dialogue — August 18, 2011

1. David says:

Dante: My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!
    Customer: At once?

2. Jerry says:

I love this movie. "Did he say, "Making fuck"?

3. Saint716 says:

I suggested Clerks?

@Saint716: You suggested movies that include Star Wars references and a link I followed. Once there I went through several possibilities until I found one with a good quote and an embeddable clip.

5. Saint716 says:

Oh. Gotcha.

6. James says:

–SPOILER–

Clerks originally ended with Dante getting shot.

His mantra, "I'm not even supposed to be here today," is totally reflected in these Star Wars talks.

"…that's what life is, a series of down endings."

The monologue continues and they talk about contracted workers being blown up in the building of the 2nd Death Star. How they were just innocent guys trying to feed their families.

While these seem like diatribes that are just two guys ranting, they are really a setup for the punchline of the ending (which was later cut).

Even with the ending cut, the movie still thematically holds together.

7. Sean Z P Harris says:

Love Clerks. It's one of my all time fav films of all time. I was actually gowna suggest this scene but decided to go with Hooper X's speech from Chasing Amy.

My be we should have the theme "Star Wars references in films" at some point.