Writers, count your blessings!

November 22nd, 2012 by

Thursday at 10AM is the weekly slot for The Business of Screenwriting series. However today is Thanksgiving here in the United States. I tried like hell to come up with an appropriate take that involved both business and thankfulness, but the faces of one dissipated, disaffected screenwriter after another kept popping up into my consciousness, successful professionals mind you. Not wanting to subject the site to a tsunami of virtual chortling from the abused class of Hollywood scribes, I thought instead I’d open the floor for any writer, aspiring or professional.

What are you thankful for?

What about writing — the process, experience, practice, lifestyle — gives you joy?

What are your creative blessings?

13 thoughts on “Writers, count your blessings!

1. Yossi Mandel says:

Thankful for you and all the industry writers online who share their earned wisdom so that we are capable, forearmed and forewarned.

Thankful to be writing right this moment.

I’d like to echo that point. I’m thankful for the online screenwriting community. A remarkable experience to rub virtual shoulders with such a diverse group, many of whom, as you note, are industry insiders willing to share their insight into the craft.

I’m thankful that despite all the other ways we’ve invented to fill our time, human beings still love to be told a story – and that they love it enough to pay money for the experience, enabling all of us to make our living and pursue our dreams.

Second that, Debbie. Imagine a world where people did NOT want to hear, read or see stories. It’s a world in which I would NOT want to live. And you’re right, what a privilege to have the opportunity to get PAID to write stories. Best of both worlds: Creativity AND income! Congratulations again on your TV series! And thanks for being a moderator on the GOYOQ Forums!

3. I’m thankful for those times that hulking slab of writer’s block you’ve been trapped beneath starts to crack apart, and you can see the story on the other side of it.

Today is one of those days :)

And I’m thankful Scott kindly gave his time to me for free this year, thanks to the GOYOQ application process; I took the “Create A Worthy Nemesis” course Scott offered for free and honestly gained more insight into my story, my characters and their world in the fifteen minutes or so we spent discussing them on a conference call, than I had done since the story’s inception some several months earlier.

All of which helped me to break through my recent story block, so thanks again Scott!

Hey, Paul, good to hear re your story! Glad you enjoyed and benefited from that Nemesis class. FYI over 400 Quest entrants have taken advantage of my free Core or Craft class offer. Kept me SUPER busy this year, but glad to make good on my promise and feed people’s creativity. Good luck with your story!

4. DJ Holloway says:

Thankful for my mom and grandma’s influence to see books as treasures. Thankful that translated into loving words. Thankful for opportunity in school to develop that through novels, comic books, and movies. Thankful that I can and do (and must!) write.

DJ, as writers, we do stand on the shoulders of those who came before us. Parents and grandparents who read to us and exposed us to great stories. Teachers and mentors who encouraged and schooled us in ways of the craft. Friends and family who support our efforts and put up with our moods. All because, as you say, we MUST write.

May you never lose that passion or desire!

5. To that abused class of Hollywood scribes and for anyone struggling to make it in Tinseltown:

Be thankful that you are part of a community that is positive, encouraging and view knowledge as something that should be shared.

Be thankful that with a click of a button you can connect with thousands of like-minded individuals all across the planet and turn faraway strangers into dear friends.

Be thankful for that creative mind of yours that can conjure up stories seemingly out of nowhere.

Be thankful you can write about anything you want without fearing government censors confiscating your work and throwing you in jail for expressing yourself.

Be thankful you don’t have to make movies in secret, having to smuggle your film out of the country, risking your and your family’s life in the process.

Be thankful that you live in a place where war is something you watch on the news, not something that happens outside your window.

Be thankful that there are writers, filmmakers and artists all across the globe that in spite of government and religious oppression, violence, war, and not knowing whether or not they will live to finish their work still have the courage to do what they do just so they can share their stories with the world.

Be thankful that even if you have to struggle for years before getting anywhere with your career you will meet amazing people along the way who share the same hopes and dreams and love for movies as you do.

Be thankful that when the day arrives and you get to make your film, you’ll be surrounded by amazing craftsmen and women who day in and day out will work together tirelessly to achieve your vision.

Be thankful that even though it may not make you financially rich, hard work and persistence, and learning and mastering a craft is its own reward.

Be thankful for cinema itself that at its best can answer questions about yourself that you didn’t know how to ask and makes you appreciate your existence a little bit more.

I know I am.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Wow, Teddy, that is fantastic. Do you mind if I promote this to a blog post? People need to read this today!

1. Thanks, Scott. If you think it’s blog-worthy, be my guest :)

6. Malibo Jackk says:

There’s something magical about putting words to paper. Discovering emotion, meaning, excitement.

Got to go. Time to eat.

Malibo Jackk, you are so right: There IS something magical about writing. We should never forget that. There may be paradigms, processes, theories, approaches, strategies, and so forth, but stories themselves are organic and resist being crammed into formulas. Good stories ALWAYS have been graced with some sort of magic.

May each of us find that magic in our stories in the year to come!